PARENT, Louis (1908-1982)

Louis Parent attended the École des beaux-arts de Montréal from 1922 to 1928 and was appointed a professor of aesthetics at the school shortly after completing his studies. In 1935, during a stay in Philadelphia, he received critical recognition for his clay models. On his return to Montreal, he became a professor at the École du Meuble, where he taught from 1937 to 1974. Between 1943 and 1950, he also devoted his sculptural practice to designing the forty-two statues of Mount Royal’s vast Way of the Cross, which unfolds along the side of the mountain outside St Joseph’s Oratory.

Categories: