PARÉ, Clément (1918-2013)

Clément Paré entered the École des beaux-arts de Québec in 1939, specializing in sculpture and art education. He left to teach in St John’s, Newfoundland, in 1943 and returned to Quebec in 1948, becoming a professor at the École des beaux-arts de Québec. When the school closed in 1970, he began working at the Ministère de l’Éducation, where he served as the coordinator of arts education at the Cégep level until his retirement in 1982. As a practising artist throughout his teaching career, Paré created occasional wooden and bronze pieces but preferred using limestone and granite, even going directly to the Portneuf region to pick out these materials himself. Predominantly high or low reliefs, his works adorn public and religious buildings, as well as schools. Saint-Mathieu, l’offre et la demande (1951, Pavillon Palasis-Prince, Université Laval) and Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve (1961, façade of the Quebec Parliament Building) are among his major monumental works.