MARIE-ANASTASIE (1909-1989)

Marie-Anastasie, Le couple enchaîné, 1960. Bois, acajou. 195.5 x 75 x 37 cm. Source : Collection privée. Photo : Musée de l’Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal et Soeurs de Sainte-Croix.

Sister Marie-Anastasie graduated from the École des beaux-arts in 1954. She also studied at the École du meuble, where her fellow students included Sylvia Daoust, Armand Filion and Louis Parent. In addition to being a painter, sculptor and printmaker, she was a poet, editor, teacher, gallery director and arts patron. She made her first foray into sculpture in 1952 and completed a Stations of the Cross for the chapel at Collège Basile Moreau (Ville Saint-Laurent) that was considered extremely daring in its approach. She presented her first exhibition, Lumière et prismes, in 1958. In 2014, she was featured in Trait d’esprit, an exhibition held at Saint Joseph’s Oratory that highlighted her work and that of two other members of the religious family of Holy Cross in Quebec: Brother Jérôme and Father André Bergeron. All three artists were connected not only by their roots in artistic modernity, but also by their engagement in contemporary social and spiritual life.

SEE:
« Les espaces de l’être » by Serge Fisette, ESPACE, vol. 4 #3, p. 9.

Categories: