LANGEVIN, Roger (1940)

Roger Langevin, Les patineuses, 2008. Fibre de verre et résine de polyester. 280 x 500 x 310 cm. Parc Beauséjour, Rimouski. Photo avec l’aimable autorisation de l’artiste.

Roger Langevin holds degrees in sculpture and art education from the École des Beaux-arts de Montréal (1959-1963) and an Honours BFA in art education from the Université du Québec à Montréal (1970). Upon graduation, he immediately began teaching at the École secondaire de Mont-Laurier, where he spearheaded a program for teaching visual arts in the Upper Laurentians. In 1971, he left for France and registered in an advanced studies diploma program in arts and letters (Diplôme d’études approfondies en lettres et en arts) at the Université de Provence (Aix-Marseille); it was during this time that he experimented with new methods in ceramic sculpture. After returning to Quebec in 1973, he left teaching in 1975 to devote himself to creating sculptures and experimental works in ceramic and cement. He resumed teaching in 1994 at the Université du Québec à Rimouski, where he set up an art school and produced about fifteen set designs for the theatre. Over the past several decades, Langevin has focused on monumental works of public art. These pieces include Le Monument aux Travailleurs, commissioned by the Confederation des syndicats nationaux (CSN; Confederation of National Trade Unions) for the exterior of the CSN Building in Montreal; the bronze monument Debout!, located in Montreal’s Parc Lafontaine and sponsored by the Mouvement national des Québécois in memory of singer Félix Leclerc; the Monument au Pêcheurs in the Magdalen Islands; and Tribunal du Millénaire in Rimouski.

SEE:
« Roger Langevin : Glossaire d’un sculpteur » by Serge Fisette, ESPACE, vol. 5 #1, p. 16.