FORTIER, Louis (1946-2000)

Self-taught painter and sculptor Louis Fortier described himself as an illumineur (“illuminator”), as he was given to allowing light to permeate the forms and subjects in his work. His first exhibition took place at the Galerie Joseph Légaré in 1977. Between 1990 and 1994, he was a member of the La Canardière group, named for the shopping centre in which it was based. He created sculptures using household objects, transforming them into artwork or integrating them into pictorial compositions – a technique he called “artdure” (“garbage art”). In 1991, he took part in the conversion of Îlot Fleurie, a brownfield turned sculpture park in Quebec City’s Saint-Roch neighbourhood.

SEE:
« Émergence 95 : D’un symposium insulaire » by Patrice Loubier, ESPACE #35, p. 33.
« Street Power » by Serge Fisette, ESPACE #54, p. 5.