DES ROSIERS, Claude (1958)

Claude Des Rosiers, Le Messager, 2012. Pierre calcaire de Saint Marc des carrières. 213 x 91 x 61 cm. Photo avec l’aimable autorisation de l’artiste.

In the late seventies, Claude Des Rosiers traveled throughout the United States, Latin America and western Canada. He met sculptors and artisan jewellers with whom he exchanged techniques and perfected his skills, creating miniature sculptures out of amber, bone and coral. From 1991 to 1994, he focused on the technique of direct carving in stone sculpture at the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières. His work is inspired by the environment, human existence and animals, and he has been recasting some of his stone sculptures in bronze since 2009. His solo exhibitions include Retour aux sources (1995) at the Cultural Centre in Trois-Rivières, Coup de ciseau (2005) at the Musée Pierre-Boucher de Trois-Rivières and Un voyage dans l’espace (2011) at the Maison André-Benjamin-Papineau in Laval. He has also produced a number of monumental works such as Patron des voyageurs (2001) and Place au soleil (2002) for the Art Gallery Yvon Desgagnés in Baie-Saint-Paul; Le radeau (2003) for the municipality of Saint-Mathieu-du-Parc; Logo (2005), located at the Centre de la Petite Enfance in Montréal-Nord; and a memorial to Jos “Bine” Lachance (2008) in Saint-Élie-de-Caxton.

Categories: