CLOUTIER, Pier (1945-1986)

Pier Cloutier (“Clout”) was introduced to sculpture at a very young age as a student of Jean-Julien Bourgault in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli. He demonstrated talent for both traditional and contemporary art, and his work is now housed in a number of collections and institutions such as the church of Saint-Mathieu de Montmagny. In addition to the emblem of Saint-Jean-Port-Joli’s Musée de sculptures sur bois des Anciens Canadiens, where his sculptures are also displayed, the artist’s work includes a black horse that graced the cover of Contes et Légendes de l’Islet, published in 1980. In 1984, he was among the artists invited to the Rendez-vous International Sculpture 84 symposium in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli. The Fondation Pier-Cloutier was established after his death.