Hugh A. Leroy studied at the art school of Sir George Williams University in 1960. He went on to teach at this school as well as at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts’ School of Art and Design, where he was named director in 1967. That same year, he received First Prize in sculpture at the Perspectives 67 competition in Toronto. He participated in the 1976 exhibition Trois générations d’art québécois 1940-1950-1960 at the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal with Red Piece, an abstract, linear sculpture of painted aluminum presented on the ground. One of his works, Four Elements Column (1967), is located in Lachine’s René-Lévesque Park. Its clean lines depict a column deformed by incisions at its centre.